Teacher Silvia Wiedmann attends Milan art conference

Ms. Silvia Wiedmann, AP Art History and AP Studio Art teacher, experienced the opportunity of a lifetime in Milan, Italy. Upon receiving an invitation to apply to the IADE (International Art and Design Education) Forum, Ms. Wiedmann was given the chance to participate in an all-expenses paid conference focusing on high school arts programs around the world.

Our art room here at Cathedral Catholic was decorated with various props and sets designed for students to draw, while Ms. Wiedmann stood attentively by her computer in the back. She first explained the conference process.

“The conference lasted three days, and included seminars about what high school programs could do to further the education of their students. The days were very full of activity, and we had a film crew of two men following us and recording what we did,” she said.

Reminiscing about the fond time she had, Ms. Weidmann said, “We had three professors as our mentors, and I even presented about the chalk art that we did on our own school grounds.”

Ms. Wiedmann was initially invited to join the process through an application, then was chosen along with another teacher from New York City.

The conference also discussed the International Baccalaureate [IB] Program.

“We were considering implementing this program in the future, and it is more widely known and recognized than AP. However, the IB program requires study of a subject for more than one year,” she said.

The conference focused on specific student interests as well.

“Top executives from Paris recognized a few art students who were exceptional at the school we conferenced at in Milan. It seems that art is taken much more seriously in Europe and other countries,” she said.

Ms. Wiedmann further explained that life seems to revolve around intense art study in Europe, while the U.S. does not focus on the arts as frequently.

The students from the IADE conference, who are affiliated with the largest art school in Italy known as NAFA (New Academy of Fine Arts), also put on an art show for the teachers attending.

“I could see that it is a very important part of life there. For example, at this school they do not have any general courses, but students only study their major,” she said.

The students could focus primarily on what they were interested in studying as opposed to taking classes for the sake of general knowledge.

Ms. Wiedmann thoroughly enjoyed the conference, and expressed her excitement for the upcoming possible improvements to be made based on her experience there. As for our own art program and Cathedral Catholic, Ms. Wiedmann is confident.

She said, “I think that we compare to the other arts I have seen, especially from the conference. There are so many different programs and means of learning that it is interesting to see how it all comes together.”