New teacher reaches out to those in need

Cathedral Catholic is well known for reaching out to those in need, and this time Mrs. Megan Burton, a new teacher of the Cathedral Catholic faculty, will be doing exactly that.

Mrs. Burton will be introducing the new Inclusion program to Cathedral starting this January with 3-4 students who have intellectual or developmental disabilities. When the program begins, Mrs. Burton will be the only teacher, but as the course progresses, she hopes more teachers will join the staff. Students will be taught basic math, English, science, and history.

The idea of creating a program to help disabled kids originally influenced her to pursue this career, and although Mrs. Burton has no personal or family relationship with anyone disabled, she believes every child is capable of learning and deserves and equal opportunity to reach their potential. She is most excited to work with the new Inclusion students and peer mentors, and has been working with disabled students since 2006.

Mrs. Burton received her undergraduate in psychology and marketing from the University of Loyola, Maryland, and her masters of education from Nazareth, NY. She is currently getting her doctorate in educational administration from the University of Southern California.

“I grew up in Rochester, NY and attended Our Lady of Mercy High School where I played soccer and basketball,” she said.

In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with her husband and three children. Talisin, her oldest child, is three while her two younger children, Greyson and Mckinley, are 17 months and 3 months. She also enjoys running, golfing, backpacking, hiking, and traveling.

Whether she is studying for her doctorate degree or preparing for her new Inclusion Program, Megan Burton always makes time for her disabled students.