CCHS Students serve as hosts at Special Needs Prom

Nicole Lobo, Opinions Editor

For many high school upperclassmen, prom is made out to be the “best night ever” with extravagant clothing, upscale dinners, and weeks of planning. Unfortunately, approximately 8% of teens in San Diego, those with special needs, often do not receive the chance to experience the infamous teenage fantasy. On May 2, however, thirty students from Cathedral Catholic High School escorted teens from all over San Diego with special needs to “A Night to Remember”, a glitzy event made to give these unique students the chance to experience their own prom.

The event took place at Eastlake Church in Chula Vista. Out of the 66 participating schools, Cathedral Catholic was the farthest away. However, distance seemed to make no difference, as there was a full waiting list of Cathedral students who wanted to be student hosts, but were too late in signing up.

At the event, honored guests received the opportunity to pick out prom clothes, get hair and makeup done, receive boutonnières or corsages, take professional prom pictures, ride in a limo, and attend a special prom with their student hosts. Over 800 students were in attendance.

A Night to Remember gave the thirty Cathedral students who participated the memorable opportunity to connect with students who have various special needs, ranging from Down Syndrome to disorders on the Autism Spectrum. Regardless, the recurrent themes of companionship and mutual respect were made prevalent throughout the night. “This was a really inspiring environment,” said junior Ana Paula Ramirez. “Everyone had a really good time. It doesn’t matter who you are, we all really just enjoyed ourselves.”

This event was a chance for integration, a concept that will not be unfamiliar to Cathedral in the upcoming school year, as CCHS welcomes four students with special needs to the Dons family through the new Inclusion Program. Some of the students who attended A Night to Remember, such as junior Elizabeth Miller, will be partaking in Cathedral’s new Inclusion Program as Peer Mentors. “I am really excited for the opportunity to be a Peer Mentor, and I think the Options [Inclusion] Program is going to do amazing things for our school,” she said.

Mrs. Megan Burton is the director of Cathedral’s Inclusion Program, and is eagerly anticipating the start of the new school year. “I am very excited that four students will be joining the CCHS family through the Inclusion Program for the 2014-2015 school year,” she said. “As advice to our current Dons, I would say not to treat these new students any differently. Be kind and welcoming and treat them like your friends, and the honored additions to our school that they are.”