Cathedral says goodbye to its veteran innovator

Micaela Dea and Kara Stevick, Staff Writers

A veteran educator, Mr. Andrzejewski has taught on Cathedral’s campus for eight years. He has instructed courses such as Filmmaking, Video Production, and Visual Arts. But as he is leaving to work on his fitness training business, his main accomplishment here at Cathedral has been his contribution to the creation of Cathedral Catholic Television, more formerly known as CCTV, which began in 2006.

Originally, two different multimedia classes would endure a long process of switching off weeks in order to produce an episode for CCTV. However in its second year, an actual, single broadcasting class was approved by the UC system and began production here on campus.

CCTV outshined previous attempts at broadcasting, all thanks to Mr. A’s leadership throughout these past eight years. Mr. Andrzejewski, known as Mr. A, said that “when CCTV really started, it was a big hit because it was so much better than the previous episodes that showcased puppets.”

Initially, many were not sure whether or not there would be a lot of enthusiasm from the faculty for such broadcasts, but the viewing of each episode was mandatory, and technically it still is.

Surely, the students over the years did not complain every Friday as they watched the creative works before them.

Junior Lianna Marilao said that she thought the episodes were entertaining and that they “were a fun way to start the end of the week.”

During the making of each episode, both the CCTV class and Mr. A wanted teachers and administration to appreciate the episodes like the students do, and with each broadcast they hoped to achieve this “happy medium,” Mr. A said.

Every episode averages anywhere from eight to twelve minutes. Concerning censorship and teen comedy that is cut out of the final product, Mr. A said, “We have to deal with the censorship, and I understand why they do it because visuals are very powerful. Both CCTV and El Cid are really the only things on campus that have that impact, and that’s why they’re censored.”

But CCTV is not the only thing that has impacted our campus through Mr. A. It is the relationships and learned lessons that have truly made a difference. “As the years have gone by, I really value the personal relationships that I have made with my students, and I’ll miss the spiritual and philosophical development that I get to see in them,” he said.

On that note, the main thing that Mr. A will miss here at Cathedral is his developing spiritual growth, due to the bonds he has created with his students. “The relationships I’ve had with students that share common interests have lead to my spiritual growth. I look forward to staying in touch and hopefully remaining a part of their progress.”

Many students are also saddened by Mr. A’s leaving. “With his phenomenal facial hair and teaching ethics, Mr. A will be greatly missed,” Junior Lucas Xavier said.

Creating something out of nothing, Mr. A has left a lasting reminder to the CCHS community that working hard will pay off in the end. Even though his CCTV class was only one-fifth of the total classes that he taught altogether, he still put in the maximum amount of energy and time possible into it to expedite success.

Now, Cathedral says goodbye to one of its most beloved teachers and friend, but knowing that he will continue to do big things. Looking towards his future after Cathedral, Mr. A said, “My wife and I are building our fitness business that we have had since 2008, branching out online with Cyclone Fitness, a new membership-access fitness video site. ” He also said that he is not one to pass up new opportunities.

All in all, Mr. A has had a good run here at Cathedral for these past eight years since Cathedral opened. He agrees as well, by saying, “There is plenty to be said for waiting on God’s timing. Thank you for being a steadfast community and allowing me to share good times.”