Understated rugby team gears for strong season

Cathedral’s rugby team seems to maintain a low profile around campus when compared to other teams, but luckily, their achievements speak for themselves.  For starters, the team has made it to playoffs every single year since the program was established.

“We are the only team in the entire High School League to make the playoffs every year,” said head coach Glenn Irvine, who has been with the team for the past five years. “Cathedral Catholic Rugby has a tradition of playing hard and playing well,” he said.

Last season, the team continued this tradition as they made it all the way to the semi-finals of playoffs. They beat rival-team Saint Augustine in the Rugby Holy Bowl, and the trophy from the match is currently on display in Cathedral’s main lobby. Fallbrook High School is another rival team, with the series currently tied 2-2. “Every season is very exciting,” explained Coach Irvine.

They also beat De La Salle from Concord, California in an exhibition match held at UCLA. Co-captain Roman Neri described it as, “an intense match that lasted until the last minute.” For Neri, the game held special significance because he is currently being recruited by the university. “UCLA is my number one school, and I’m in contact with head coach Scott Stewart,” he said.

Last season, five seniors graduated who had played on the team all four years. But there are plenty of standouts to fill this gap. Aaron Mitchell, Xavier Ulutu, Chris Moliga, Tyson Maeva, to name a few. “Our team has a good mix of boys from all grade levels, ranging from strong senior leadership to raw freshmen talent,” said Neri.

The team has been preparing to excel this season. “I expect our team to raise the level of play at all levels and at all positions,” said Coach Irivne. They have been working on a lot of fundamentals and set plays. “We try to perfect the more basic assets of our game so that when we enter a match, it feels second nature. Practice is more mental than physical [because] rugby is a strategic game,” said Neri.

“We hope to make the community proud by what we accomplish this season and establish a lasting model brotherhood for generations of Dons to follow,” he said.

View Comments (1)
Cassandra Fernandes
Cassandra Fernandes, Features Editor
A second-year journalist, I have always loved writing. Outside of journalism, I row, teach Sunday School, and lead the Hispanic Club. I am interested in law, kittens, "New Girl," frozen yogurt, football, and I consider myself a tea connoisseur.

• P

Patrick IrvineFeb 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Good job El CID, thanks for the shout out. Means a lot to the Rugby team that we are getting noticed and recognized for the season. I know that this year we will be bring the title home. Please continue to help represent us.

Reply