Dons athletes commit on National Signing Day

Every high school athlete knows what a commitment to their craft means: complete dedication and sacrificing things most people take for granted. They’ll miss dances, birthday parties, even spend entire holidays competing to get their name into the top ranks. All of these sacrifices pay off on one day for high school athletes: National Signing Day.

Every year, hundreds of thousands of athletes across all disciplines sign their national letters of intent, binding them to the college that has recruited them. This past Wednesday, February 5th, the NCAA held its annual National Signing Day. For most athletes being recruited, this day opens up the period in which they have to commit officially to a school. Sports included in this event were football, soccer, basketball, track and field, and men’s water polo. All other sports’ signing deadlines open on April 16th.

This year from Cathedral, six athletes participated in the presser at the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park to announce and sign their letters.

While at the Hall of Champions, El Cid had the opportunity to speak with several of the commits. “I don’t know how to put into words, it’s just a relief to make it official. It’s what most athletes work towards. Playing in college is a dream” said Hanna Macaulay. Hanna signed with Elon University in Elon, North Carolina to play women’s soccer. Hanna has been a key member of the Lady Don’s team which eclipsed a state title this past year.

Among the other athletes who signed were Justin Fiddes (University of Washington, men’s soccer), Riley Hawblitzel (Catholic University of America, women’s soccer), Kaylee Fitzgerald (Cornell University, women’s soccer), Brittany Doan (Gonzaga University, women’s soccer), and Ally Ocon (University of Alabama, women’s soccer).

While all of these athletes were celebrating their accomplishments together down at the Hall of Champions, three more athletes were signing their commitments at Cathedral. Of these athletes, one in particular had been on the radar of some very reputable programs. Xavier Ulutu, who started at inside linebacker for the Dons football team this year had finally reached a decision between Fresno State and Washington State. Ultimately, he chose Fresno. He explained why, saying “Chris [Moliga] got offered 24 hours before signing day, it’s closer to home. Once Chris committed to Fresno State, it sealed the deal for me.” He went on to say how making it this far in his career was a blessing and that he had always dreamed of it: “It’s a loss for words.” Aaron Mitchell, starting guard for the Dons, also signed with Fresno State this past Wednesday.

As of late, Fresno State has gained more prominence as a powerhouse in the west, having produced players such as David Carr (QB, former 1st overall pick in 2002 draft) and Ryan Matthews (12th overall pick, RB, San Diego Chargers). This past year, Fresno State won the Mountain West conference in college football. Unfortunately with an upset by San Jose State, they were eliminated from receiving an at large BCS bowl bid. They were relegated to play the USC Trojans in the Royal Purple Las Vegas bowl where they were defeated 45-20.

With all of these Dons heading to the next level, El Cid wishes them luck in their endeavor and hope they continue to represent their colleges as well as they have represented Cathedral. Follow at @ElCidSports for all the latest sports updates on the Dons.