LIGHT groups inspire students to “raise the standards” (Slideshow)

LIGHT groups inspire students to raise the standards (Slideshow)

LIGHT groups*, themed Raise the Standards for this week’s meeting, involved a variety of activities aimed at inspiring Dons to achieve their personal bests. Accompanied by a video created by Campus Ministry Service and a classroom discussion of the week’s theme, the LIGHT group session seemed to kick of Catholic Schools Week in a positive direction.

A typical LIGHT group schedule is dependent upon the resourcefulness of students. First period ends abnormally early, oftentimes confusing the unprepared student. Second period ends similarly, reminiscent of first because of its brevity. The second period ending bell rings, the quad is filled with students rushing to LIGHT group classrooms, and the end bell finally rings after a brief five-minute dash.

The LIGHT Groups are thirty minutes each and usually start with a prayer and student-made video. This week, the video featured the dos and don’ts of a good Don student.

Campus Ministry Consultant Pat Villa, often seen roaming the campus catching up with students, commented on these groups.

“I heard it’s a great way to mix the student community and create more conversation around how God works through interaction,” he said.

Pat recently attended the senior retreat at Palomar and considered it to be successful. He has a variety of experience in retreat ministry, social teaching, and simple interaction with students about their faith lives.

“I’ve never seen enough of it [LIGHT group] but have heard that the groups have a positive impact,” he said.

The video similarly portrayed this theme of interaction and success through a number of small skits that illustrated good and bad actions.

In one scene, a student chose to cheat and then abstain, while in another, a student was shoved into a Drexel Hall shrub and then helped out by a strangely ecstatic companion.

Senior Sara Llagas, part of the Mr. Kaufmann LIGHT group located in Cabrini Hall, enjoys the groups.

“I like LIGHT groups because you can learn more about your classmates and open up about your faith,” she said.

Inside Mr. Kaufmann’s LIGHT group, participation is frequently supported, either with lectures accompanied by sign language or the warm encouragement vocalized by Mr. Kauffman.

Students are able to socialize during the group, yet are simultaneously required to consider the theme presented that week.

Senior Roman Lagudi, transfer student and rugby athlete, similarly enjoyed the group.

He said, “I like light groups because I am able to sit next to my old friends and meet new friends.”

* LIGHT is an acronym for “Living In God’s House Together.”